Wednesday 5 December 2018

Cover and Masthead Design - Development

While I stated in my previous design post that the font used is too 'spooky', I came up with the idea of using this font to make it look like the painting was torn away to show the wood below. You can see the variations of this below. While I can sort of see how this idea would work, it really flopped with the cover we chose. It blended in far too much and just looked really unprofessional.




After this, I chose a new free-for-commercial-use font and started experimented with this. I personally found this really flat. To combat this, I decided to try playing with the texture and colour of the shadow, and integrated some brighter colours (specifically the colours of the time portals). While I loved the use of extra colour (below), I still felt it was really lacking.


Because of how long I'd worked on this with no success, I decided to go back and do some research into how other people appealed to the same, young demographic as ours with their logos. I noted a lot of them had a large, block background that the text was set over. There also seemed to always be a lot of movement in the mastheads/logos too, as shown below.



I then utilised this research and applied it to my next designs. For these, I asked Katy to doodle me some portals, selected the one I felt fit the best with the balance of the cover, and then overlayed my text and lined it in the same green as the base portal (you can see this initial design on the left). I then flipped some colours around to see what worked best and settled on white text with a black border (bottom). I also consulted Katy at this point, who agreed with my decision.



Despite being really satisfied with this design, I wanted to test a few more things out to make sure I wasn't missing out on a potentially better design! For this, I started to have a play with gradients (below). I eventually decided that these looked a little too generic and stereotypical.




No comments:

Post a Comment